This jumbo-sized vegetarian’s dream sandwich starts with the hearty “beefed up” taste and texture of our delicious Abalone mushrooms. For a weeknight or for company, for lunch or dinner, no matter when you serve it, they’ll love it!
Cooking Time: 20 min
What You’ll Need:
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter
- 2 to 3 medium-sized onions, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 cloves of fresh garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 8 ounces of Abalone mushrooms, stems on, cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices (4 to 5 medium-sized mushrooms)
- 1/4 cup bottled steak sauce or Baby Rays Sweet BBQ sauce
- 1 (8- to 10-ounce) loaf French bread, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 (6-ounce) package sliced provolone cheese
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to broil. In a large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat.
- In one pan, sauté onions 6 to 8 minutes, until softened, then add garlic for 2 minutes. In a second pan, add mushrooms with butter, reduce heat to medium, and continue cooking 3 to 5 minutes, turning often. Pour steak sauce or BBQ sauce over onions and mushrooms; stir.
- Divide mixture evenly over bread halves and top with cheese slices. Broil 5 to 8 minutes, or until cheese is melted and top is golden. Use a serrated knife to cut diagonally into serving-sized pieces.