by Chef Thomas Lohmann, Waikoloa Beach Marriott
1 serving portion
Ingredients: For Braised Short ribs
- 1 lb Boneless Beef Short Ribs
- 1 C Flour
- 1 t Kosher Salt
- 6 T Olive Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¼ t Table Grind Black Pepper
- 1 T. Chopped Garlic1 t Tomato Paste
- 4 oz Rough Chopped Carrots
- 4 oz Rough Chopped Onions
- 4 oz Rough Chopped Celery
- 1 t Black Peppercorns
- ½ gal Beef Stock
- 32 oz Burgundy Wine
- 1 oz Hoisin Sauce
Method for Short ribs:
Season short ribs with Kosher salt & Pepper, dust with flour & sear on all side on high heat in 2 Tbls. olive oil, reserve.
Toss Carrots, onions and celery in remaining olive oil and roast in 350 degree oven till browned. In medium sauce pot add roasted vegetables, garlic, sauté until garlic lightly browned, add tomato paste, beef stock, burgundy wine and short ribs. Braise for 1 hour or until tender.
Cook fine Polenta according to direction, spread onto ½ inch pan, chill and cut into ½ moons. Dust with ground coriander and sear on flat top griddle.
For Hamakua Mushroom Ragout:
- 1 T Olive Oil
- ¼ C Hamakua Shimiji Mushrooms
- 1 t Chopped Basil (Fresh)
- 1/8 C Sauce From Braised Ribs
Sauté mushrooms in olive oil, add basil and sauce cook till sauce just coats mushrooms.